Thursday, December 13, 2007

Another Day in 4301

Wow there are readers all over the place. I'm assuming that when we have our big "Cancer Sucks!" party when this is all said and done, there will be a bunch of people at my house who I don't even know.

Lemme preface what I'm about to say next. If you have kids you know already. If you don't, then you can't possibly understand. You may think so, but you can't. Trust me. You know how strong the desire is to eat? No, let me take that back. You know how strong the desire is to breathe? That's how strong the desire is to protect the next generation. I'm not exaggerating. Millenia of evolution has programmed it into us. Knowing that your child is sick with a life-threatening illness is one of the worst things imaginable. Knowing that it will, in fact, take your child's life.... That is the absolute worst.

With that shoved down your throats, I was going to mention that I talked to a mother in the Costas Center yesterday. I don't want to name too many specifics, but she has it tough. She had cancer and is now in remission. She has lost multiple immediate family members to various forms of cancer. Now her child has cancer. And she has the same illness that my cousin had. She asked me how my cousin is doing with her illness and I felt weird telling her that cancer took my cousin from us. Her reaction was less than positive. Yeah, the survivor's guilt is getting pretty bad now.

So back to the little stinker. Last night was rough. He hasn't been sleeping well anyway. Add nausea to that. I thought he was going to hack a few times but he never did, fortunately. He probably didn't really get to a nice deep sleep until about 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. He slept until 10:00 this morning.

But at least this is the last time.

Andy's "No More Chemo Party" has been moved to 2:00 today. So we ate a late breakfast. Should all work out.

Andy will get more chemo today and more tomorrow. Then that's it! No more! w00t!

No comments: