Thursday, August 30, 2007

Another Shot to the Chin

Ok, lemme preface this by saying that in 2006, I lost 2 grandmothers, 2 cousins, an aunt, and a good friend. This is all that popped into my tired brain right now, I'm sure there's more to add to that list.

Over the last couple of years I've grown very accustomed to death. Just when I think nobody else can die, boom! Someone else I care about dies! Some of them were a long time in the making, some came from out of nowhere.

Lately things have not been going so well for my Grandpa Kelley. On one hand, the man is 81 years old. On the other hand, despite everything that happened in 2006, I thought he would always be here. I don't know why, I just did.

Screeech! Backup a bit further. I don't want to go into great detail, but let's just say that the man is the reason I am the person I am today. For better or for worse, I am who I am because of him. Grandpa Kelley and I have always been very, very close. Expect a very, very long post at some point in the future explaining my relationship with Grandpa Kelley.

Again, I'm not going into great detail. But as I was finally falling asleep an hour or 2 ago for the first time since I woke up 31 hours beforehand, I got a call saying that he has less than 3 months to live. *Edit* God love my father, he just can't seem to get anything right when he tries to repeat things. Nobody ever said anything about 3 months. The truth of the matter is that he has "months" to live, be it 1 month or 15 months.

And there's no room for grief right now.

I sure wish life had a rewind button.

No calls, no visitors, please. I need a few days to myself. I may take a few days off from the entire world, including this website.

Except, of course to work. *grumbles about not being able to use EMTO*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I'm Angela from the Basket of Hope organization. We would love to give you a Basket of Hope - a gift basket from the community. We heard you were a Kurt Warner Fan so we are including an autographed picture of Kurt and an AZ Cardinals hat. We also include Bibles, inspirational books, journals, CD's, and toys, games, and things for Andrew and your children at home. Our daughter was treated for cancer at Glennon a few years ago. She's now in college and wants to work at Glennon when she's done. What a wonderful place. The doctors and nurses and all are amazing...I agree with you. When would be a good time for you to receive the basket? We will be praying for Andrew and look forward to meeting him! You can check out our website at www.basketofhope.org or email me at abrunette@basketofhope.org

Anonymous said...

Dan and Julie,
I've tried a couple of times to write to let you know I am praying for your family and especially Andy. (but I'm not very good at expressing my thoughts in writing) I continually check the blog site for updates and also talk to your Dad. I'll keep praying for Andy and the whole family.
Mary Bear

MomMom said...

Danny,
I just wanted to let you know I'm sending good thoughts and prayers to your family. Also, you inspired me to start my own blog! We had a family tragedy this summer, and it really helps me to put my energy into writing out my thoughts. Check it out:
http://safebabies.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

2 of your Aunts passed away, Aunt Kay and Aunt Betty.

andrew 4 life said...

Aunt Betty was 2007.