Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Day 13, Morning

Here we are, back in the hospital. Another morning. It was a very long night. When Andy was on morphine, the sleep interruptions during the night and early morning were minor annoyances. Now that he's off the good stuff, they are major problems. When he wakes up for one of these reasons, it takes a long time for him to get back to sleep. And for Daddy to get back to sleep for that matter.

Add to that his occasionally waking up scared out of his mind because he doesn't know where he is.

It's been a long night. It will be a long day. I'm telecommuting from the hospital today, although I'm taking a break to post this. It's pretty easy, physically, since Andy is spending the majority of his time sleeping. It's very trying emotionally, though, forcing myself to keep at it even though I'm here at the hospital. I have a feeling I'll be using PTO for a good portion of the day, however. I'll probably do that until my PTO is burned up, which shouldn't take too long at this point.

Andy was more like himself last night once he got some fluids in him. Lauging, smiling, playing, fighting sleep. He was acting like a 1-year-old baby. He still looks a little rough, but he's still not fully hydrated. It will take some time, I'm sure.

I think we're going to be in the hospital for a while. If we go home, he will become dehydrated again. It's hard for him to eat or drink anything with that huge liver pushing on his belly.

Everyone say a prayer or two for the children on the 4th floor at Glennon.

No comments: