Sunday, August 26, 2007

Hospital Stay + Heat Wave = Weight Gain

Before this crap started happening, I was starting to get to a point to where I was taking better care of myself. Among other things, I had been walking a few miles. Not daily, but as often as possible. I also picked up a bicycle and was planning to start riding it the 4.2 miles to work, in no small part because of the 64/40 construction and the loss of my on-ramp and off-ramp, Bellevue.

Then this god-awful heatwave started. Next thing I know we're in the hospital. At least during the heat-wave I wasn't completely sedintary. But heat wave + hospital, and I'm sedintary. Add to this the fact that, for the most part, the hospital food is grilled or fried, and I've gained quite a few pounds. I can feel it and I can see it.

Now that the heatwave is gone, or going away, I can at least get out and walk a bit when someone is around to watch Andy. However, my calf muscles have begun to atrophy on me. I can walk a 15-minute mile, then my calf muscles start to really burn. And by "a" 15-minute mile, I mean one 15-minute mile. I don't even really get the cardio I want because of my calf muscles.

I figured it out that, from the elevator door, out the hospital door, it is almost exactly .5 miles down to Grand & Russell. So the last couple of days I've just walked there and back. I hope to be going to somewhere around Grand & Arsenal and back by the end of the week.

Hopefully I'll be at least burning off the fried calories I'm taking in... Or part of it. This is gonna take a while to work off, that's for sure.

Ok, dinner time. Off to get a burger & fries.

No comments: