Monday, October 8, 2007

Long Week

This is going to be a long week. Possibly quite a trying week.

First, this last weekend. It was a nice weekend for all, relatively speaking of course. Saturday my cousin's daughter turned one. Actually, my mother's aunt's son's daughter turned one. :) Whatever, either way, childrens' birthday parties are a big deal in the Key family (that's my mom's family)... Especially first birthdays. It's heartbreaking that the Kelley contingent of the family couldn't make it. But at least I was able to go out there for a couple hours, eat some BBQ, have 2 beers, 2 sodas, a few chips, burp real loud, and accuse my cousin of being of Canadian decent. I just wish my family could have been with me.

She did real well on her first birthday. She was very outgoing and receptive to all the people around her. She's a happy baby for sure. It was also nice to see some friends and family that I haven't seen in a while because of the whole situation.

Saturday night was our block party. They close off the street, barbecue, drink beer, etc. A good time was had by all. Joey & Emma had a blast running the street without worrying (too much) about cars. Andy had a blast being outside for a while. I had a blast getting my ass handed to me in poker by my neighbor's son. :) Julie had a blast just being able to socialize and act like a normal person for once. Like I said, a good time was had by all.

...and yes, for those of you who are not locals, everything in St. Louis involves grilling and beer. Everything. We like our food fire-grilled and our beverages hoppy.

So last night Andy's port needle came out. I think it was from when Joey dragged him from the kitchen to the living room by his ankles. *sigh* It was a blessing in disguise. While he didn't have TPN last night, his rash seems a lot better. We need to start TPN at 3:00, so I'm going to wait until about 2:00 to take him to Glennon to get reaccessed. This is really making his rash better.

Andy's TPN starts at 3:00 today because he needs to wake up around 5:00 - 5:30-ish tomorrow morning. He needs to be awake 2 hours prior to his hearing test. Labs after his hearing test, no biggie there.

Friday is his CT scan.

Recap: Chemo (Cisplatin in particular) causes hearing loss. High-range hearing loss is expected. If it looks like it is starting to, or has the potential to cause problems with speech development, then we'll have to make changes. If his hearing is a concern, we look to the CT scan results on Friday. From there, it's decision time.

So, combine his hearing test with his CT scan and one of the following will happen the following week: 1) Chemo as usual, 2) Modified chemo with its own fun side effects, or 3) surgery.

No, we are NOT hoping for surgery! We are hoping for chemo as usual. The more this thing has shrunk the better his surgery will go and the higher the chances of 100% removing this successfully the first time.

I'll be in Baraboo, WI next Monday & Tuesday for work... unless he's in surgery at the time. Fun.

Today: Port needle reaccesssed, start TPN early.
Tomorrow: Wake early, get a hearing test.
Friday: CT scan & decision day.


Anonymous said...

Hi Neph,

I sure hope the hearing loss, if any is minimal. You all are in my prayers.
I thank you for the blogspot. It is wonderful for those of us who want to know how you all are doing; especially Andy, but don't want to bother you with a call. The last couple of times I have called I have awakened you and Andy was sleeping.

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying too that Andy's hearing loss is minimal so that chemo can go on with our without changing the drugs. We want surgery to be successful the first time! I'm so glad that you all had some fun and socializing this weekend. You have a great bunch of neighbors!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you seemed very genuine and nice about that birthday party. I guess you have a kind side, so I will keep your secret safe. You know, about how you were dishonorably discharged from the Royal Canadian Mounted Yak Police. I truly understand that a Yak can be comforting on those cold arctic Kanadian nights. The special bond between a Yak and it's mounter, it's very understandable. So I won't Yak about it anymore (pun absolutely intended). BTW, did Julia know this beofre you were married?
I hope this week goes well for you deserve it!

Anonymous said...

As always, I'll be praying for Andy and crossing my fingers too.

My mom's aunt's son's daughter? Good grief, I feel like I'm at least 104.

Glad you and Julia got to relax a little this weekend. I did miss the rest of your family, but quite understandable. Next time, maybe we'll get to see your better half.