Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Remembering Grandpa

I didn't have to grow up with him being my father, and thank God for that, from what I've heard and read. I got to grow up with him being my grandfather. When I think about him, I think about a man who loved me unconditionally, who would stop on a dime and drop everything for me.

I remember the man who used to pick me up from school every day around 5th grade and would come to my classroom with a pair of umbrellas if it was raining.

I think of the man who used to sit with me and go over math, science, and reading homework and actually make it fun. He taught me Algebra when I was in 4th grade!

He was the only person on the planet, for whatever reason, who believed me that I had stomach pains for most of the years of my childhood. I learned to deal with it by the time my teenage years came around. I found out 20 years later that it was GERD and had permanently destroyed part of my stomach and esophagus.

I remember the man who was very excited to teach me all about computers and radios when I was 7 years old, despite everyone else telling me I needed to be doing "7 year old things." Now I'm making $$$ designing and maintaining wireless computer networks.

I remember the man who used to look over my shoulder and chuckle as I spent hours playing Ultima (Thanks for that TJ!) with Suzy the dog on my lap.

I remember the man who took me on wonderful trips every summer to Florida, LA, Tucson, Carlsbad Caverns, the Grand Canyon, etc. etc. etc. as a child. Those trips were the times of my life!

I remember the man who I spent my summers with as a child and every Monday we'd do something fun like Six Flags, Meramec Caverns, the Arch, a Forest Park museum, etc.

I remember the man who would force himself to go on Space Mountain with me even though it hurt his poor old arthritic neck. In LA AND in Florida!

I remember the man who would watch Police Academy and Back to the Future with me over and over and over and over again and never complain about it.

I remember the man who encouraged me and made it possible for me to become the musician I became. Yeah, I'm not too shabby.

I remember the man who, in every picture of him when he's with me, had a huge, loving smile on his face.

I remember the man who comforted me and shielded me from all the negativity when things got kinda screwey there for a while when I was 9 or so.

I remember a man who spoiled me pretty darn good, but who made sure I turned out ok despite the spoilings. (boy my parents hated that)

I remember the man who made me who I am today. He wasn't an angry alcoholic monster all his life. And he wasn't a grumpy old man all his life.

Here's the real stinker. I need to figure out how to go on without him. 50% of my soul, my being, is now gone. Vanished. Nothing there. And I have to live the remaining 1/2 to 2/3 of my life with that void. Now I just need to try to figure out a way to keep my parents alive for the rest of my life....

1984 was my first annual summertime trip with Grandpa and my first time ever on a plane. Incidentally, it was our last trip on a plane, it was all by car after that. We went to West Covina to visit my brat aunt and my uncle Owl. My brat aunt introduced me to Kaboom. Good times.

I seem to recall hanging at Patti's and Jennifer took me bowling. Dunno, it was a long time ago for me.

I miss that West Covina house. Not sure why, I just do. Were I to go to LA, I could probably still find the place.

...of course, I'm not sure why I'd ever go to LA again. ;)

Nite all. Hope I didn't offend anyone. Except Californians. But then again CA should secede from the rest of the US and become the People's Republic of California and the rest of the country would be better for it. (ha!)

And Greg, your smell offends me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very sweet memories of your mentor, your granfather. He loved and protected you through some difficult times. He was very proud of you as an adult. Every child (especially those from divorced or single parents) should have a mentor like him (in a perfect world). Enjoyed reading this, Danny!